Friday, October 27, 2006

Countdown to the Marine Corps Marathon 2006

10 weeks and nearly 800 miles of training will finally culminate in the Marine Corps Marathon this Sunday, October 29, in Washington DC.
I'm as ready as I'll ever be. I fly out Saturday morning. After arrival, I'll take the Metro over to the Armory by Union Station, pick up my number, browse the Expo, and enjoy a pasta dinner before heading back to my hotel in Virginia over by the Pentagon. Come Sunday morning, it should be around 40 degrees at 8:20 am when the race starts in front of Arlington National Cemetary, but it should be a good overall day for a 26.2 mile run.
The race course is really amazing since it goes past all the monuments and historic sites in the Washington DC-Arlington area before finishing in front of the Iwo Jima Memorial close to the start of the race.
I'll need to finish under three hours since I have to check out of my hotel by noon. There's not much time to retrieve my belongings, take the subway back to the hotel and take a hot shower.
Fortunately, I have to be in Baltimore for business on Monday, so I'll take Amtrak up there Sunday afternoon, and come home Monday afternoon from BWI airport.

Bye for now ...

No comments: