Sunday, October 01, 2006

Marathon Training

Well, the Marine Corps Marathon is only 4 weeks away. Training seems to be going too well. For about the past month, I've been running roughly 22 miles on Saturdays, 17 miles on Wednesdays, and 10 miles the remaining days, except Friday, which is a day of rest. That's roughly 80 miles a week. The speed and endurance are improving by the week. Yesterday, I was running around the airport like I always do for the big run and suddenly a lady in a van pulls over and rolls the window down. "Did you just run around the airport?" she said. "I saw you way over on the other side about 25 minutes ago!" Yes, that was me. But it's no great feat. It's only 7 miles around the entire airport. I've still got three more weeks of training to do. I'm actually tired of it already, but I wanted to start early enough so that if I had to forgo a long run for one reason or another, it wouldn't have much of an impact. I'd rather be slightly overtrained than undertrained. Today, October 1, 2006, is the Milwaukee Marathon. It starts in about 10 minutes (8am) from Grafton High School parking lot. I'm going for a run and then I'll go down to the Lake Front to watch the finishers. I know a bunch of people doing their first marathon, so I'll go cheer them on starting around 11 am and snap a few pictures.

The photo is from the 2006 Boston Marathon held 04/17/06. I wish I could run under 2 hr 50 min. The 3 big hills towards the latter half of the race really take the wind out of your sails.

No comments: